Friday, September 23, 2011

Please help me with my '85 accord--old gas?

i bought this '85 accord 5-speed. It is carb not fuel injection.



It was sitting for two years. It has a half tank of gas that was also sitting inside the tank for two years. I drove the car for nearly an hour and it drove great! So i bought it and drove it home, which was about another hour. I parked and turned it off. I tried to start it like 5 min later and it would not start! It would turn but the engine would not catch on! I waited a couple hours and went back to it and then it started right up.



What could this be? Should I drain whats left from the gas tank or is it safe to just keep driving and burn it off? And if you say drain it, then how do i do that?



What else should I do to a car that has been sitting for 2 years? What fluids should I change or other parts? coolant? transmission oil? spark plugs? ect...?



Thanks alot and God Bless!Please help me with my '85 accord--old gas?Well, could be several things going on, but a cheap start will be, change the gasoline filter, buy a water treatment (small additive bottle to the gas) at any car store, also add at the same time a carburator cleaner, another additive, drive like that and see if start getting better. If none of that works, you might have problems with the cold start switch, I think at that point if you don't understand mechanic you should check with some proffesional mechanic to solve the problem. Tipical problem of a car that have been parked for a long time. Check if spark plugs are ok, etc. Hard to make a diagnosis without seeing the car, maybe the choke is not working , etc. Trust additives, they are quite good, they save money in maintenance and gasoline, by the way, put fresh gasoline in your tank. The gas additive will disolve any water in the gas tank and stop any problem of water in the tank, the other additive (carburator cleaner) will clean all of the carburator inside. That Accord is a nice powerfull small car, very popular at the time, good on gas, a second or third car to keep, good to have around.

Good luck.Please help me with my '85 accord--old gas?It may be the gas, but it also may not. I had a similar problem with my 90 civic, only the problem was the main relay. When the engine was hot, the car couldn't start, and if it did start immediately, it stalled out as soon as it started. It generally took 5 minutes before it could start again. Check all the fluids and if you don't know what you're doing, get the parts checked by a mechanic and tell them what you are experiencing. I would drain the gas just to be safe, you can never tell for sure what the problem is until you solve it.