Monday, September 19, 2011

What do I do about the knocking noise from my '89 Nissan 240SX?

My car continuely overheats before where the needle will shoot up over H. To fix the problem, I flushed out the radiator and put a whole new batch of coolant. I also changed the thermastat and the valve cover gasket. The car continues to overheat but not as badly as before. With one problem, somewhat solved, there is a horrible knocking noise coming from the motor. When I start the car, the knocking noise becomes very loud no matter how much I rev the car. Most of the time when I accelerate, the knocking noise will go away until the next time I shut off my car and restart it again. I am not sure if I should get a motor or not. Could the overheating have something to do with it? What can I do to fix it without selling it? Yes, this car is very important to me.What do I do about the knocking noise from my '89 Nissan 240SX?Assuming it's the original motor, it's 17 years old and has probably just about worn out. You can do repairs piecemeal but when you fix one thing another will go and it will drive you nuts and cost a bundle. The best way is to get an exchange Long Motor fitted. This is a complete motor minus all the bolt-on bits like the manifolds, carbs, starter, alternator, etc. A good engine exchange place can do the job in one day, and you will have a new motor (fully tuned up), with a warranty (of at least 50,000 miles usually), and no worries. That's the best way to go. And the place will keep your old motor as part of the deal and send it off for reconditioning for the next customer's car.



That's much cheaper and faster than getting your own motor rebuilt. Most places will also arrange finance if you need it.



At the same time, get the brakes and suspension checked over and the cooling system as well. They can do exchange radiators, too -- with full warranty. MUCH cheaper than buying a new one from a dealer! And if anything needs fixing, get it all done at the same time. One bill is better than twenty, right? And less headaches -- which you do not need in winter.



Check around for 'exchange engine' places in your area and get a few quotes. And make sure you ask for a LONG (ie complete) motor, not a short motor which is only the block and what it contains. Your cylinder head will be pretty much shot by now so go for the long motor and save yourself some grief!



Good luck,



LenkyWhat do I do about the knocking noise from my '89 Nissan 240SX?Sounds like a bad connecting rod, bad piston, a blown head gasket, or even a bad valve. It all depends on what you would like to do with that motor. What might of happened is that the engine was running so hot that the internal engine parts have expanded past their allowed clearances (warping of internal engine parts). And to explain the fade away of the knock as the car warms up, the clearnaces comeback to normal as the metal expands inside the engine. I would recommend replacing the engine with a rebuilt or send your engine out for an overhaul.What do I do about the knocking noise from my '89 Nissan 240SX?Could be your shaft.If that you will a new engine