Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What coolant should I use in a 1992 7.3L Ford diesel? Should I add an SCA to the coolant?

I just bought a 1992 Ford F350 7.3L diesel truck with 134,000 miles on it. I've read that the coolant needs to be changed often on these engines and SCAs need to be added. The current coolant is green. The engine runs great... no overheating problems. Can I change the fluid myself? How do I do it? What coolant and SCA should I use? Thanks!What coolant should I use in a 1992 7.3L Ford diesel? Should I add an SCA to the coolant?Yeah...you can change the fluid yourself. They sell a flush kit at walmart (prestone) for around 6 bucks; you use a garden hose to flush it.



SCA I'm guessing means supplemental coolant additive...I'm not sure what that additive is but I'm guessing it's something like Water Wetter. It probably isn't going to hurt to add it. Prestone green is fine.