Wednesday, September 14, 2011

How badly will this damage my motor? And if I were to replace it? Chevelle Malibu 350?

This was my father's car. I recently took it off his hands and my buddy and I first went to start it and it wouldn't start. So we changed the battery, starter, cables and some wires. Then tried, it turned over but still didn't start. Then we replaced all the plugs, changed oil, coolant, new HEI distributor, alternator and a lil' minor stuff. It finally started. Awesome.



But, when I first got it, I changed the oil (sitting for a couple years), and it looks like good oil (meaning no water was added in). Then after we got it started and let it idle for a couple minutes, here came our problem. I was losing coolant and it has chocolate milk meaning that coolant got into the oil. I believe it's a head gasket that cracked. Probably both since it has been sitting over time. The car WAS NOT driven, so having it leak since we worked on the car, will it damage if we clean it out and change them? Car starts, but leaking. If we replaced the gaskets and cleaned the coolant, should it be all set??How badly will this damage my motor? And if I were to replace it? Chevelle Malibu 350?Coolant may have been leaking into the crankcase and just sinking to the bottom of the oil pan before you started the engine. The oil won't turn to chocolate milk until it is mixes with the coolant-as in stirred. Get the contaminated oil out of the crankcase right away since glycol reacts with the tin and zinc in bearings even if the engine is not running. You might try pulling each spark plug and if you find one that is different color than the others or wet that can indicate which head gasket is leaking.

After you pull the heads and have checked head and intake manifold gaskets, have the heads checked to make sure they aren't warped and maybe magnifluxed for cracks if there are not any obvious signs of your leak. Sometimes a block crack is not so easy to find but also is not very common. If you repair the leak, and drain and flush the crankcase, your engine should be fine.How badly will this damage my motor? And if I were to replace it? Chevelle Malibu 350?a bad head gasket could be the problem but an oil cooler or the transmission cooling in the raditer could be bad, try remoive the raditor and take it down and have it pressure tested, if it leaks then you have tranny fluid leaking into the radiator, if it's oil then most possibly if it runs smooth you have a leaking intake manifold gasket whech means replacing the intake gasket not the head gasket.How badly will this damage my motor? And if I were to replace it? Chevelle Malibu 350?Car sitting for a LONG time. NOT good. Probably a head gasket OR a cracked cylinder head. Not good.



Now HERE is a piece of PROFESSIONAL and knowlegable advice. IF it is your intention to KEEP the car i would recommend STRAIGHT away to replace the motor with a fresh remanufactured engine. Not a REBUILT, NOT a Junk yard swap, NOT re-ringed engine, but a COMPLETELY remanufactured engine.



If your lucky it is either a head gasket or cracked cylinder head. BUT, if your luck runs as I seem to see it running, you may also have a cracked cylinder liner or block.



If so NO AMOUNT of repairs will help you. For this reason I reccomend a reman engine. You can get them complete (LONG BLOCK) for 800-1000 bucks. Money well spent.



Remember, you heard it here FIRST. Don't let me become an %26quot;I TOLD you so%26quot;How badly will this damage my motor? And if I were to replace it? Chevelle Malibu 350?1 yes replace all the gasket's

2 if oil is going into the coolant it could a oil seal or a lifter problem

3 you will have too flush the system out to get rid of all the oil

4 if there oil in the coolant there could coolant in the oil

5 don't' start it until you are sureHow badly will this damage my motor? And if I were to replace it? Chevelle Malibu 350?replace the gaskets. clean and drain the radiator and replace the coolant. does the engine knock or make any noise at all? you said the car sat up for 2 yrs . was it not driven at all during this time?