Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Do I need any tools to remove the petcock from my radiator to drain the coolant on a 99 olds intrigue?

I found this, but I cant seem to get the petcock off with just my hands:



On the radiator (lower drivers side facing the motor) there is a plastic like plug that you turn counter clockwise about 3/4 of a turn, then you can pull it out about 1/2 an inch this will drain the radiator, then you can push the plug back in and turn it until you feel it lock back in place. (from http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_cha )Do I need any tools to remove the petcock from my radiator to drain the coolant on a 99 olds intrigue?I 2nd both previous comments. Plastic parts love to break. Twist it GENTLY. If it seems it doesn't want to budge, undo the hose-clamp %26amp; drain via the lower hose. I've done it so many times this way. Watch you don't get splashed when you pop the hose off. It'll come out really fast.Do I need any tools to remove the petcock from my radiator to drain the coolant on a 99 olds intrigue?You could use a pair of pliers VERY carefully though! Anything plastic loves to break...Do I need any tools to remove the petcock from my radiator to drain the coolant on a 99 olds intrigue?That is the right way to do it, only on a car that is almost 10 years old, that plug is probably in there pretty tight. The rubber seals like to bond to the plastic parts and not come out. I have broken many. Your best bet is to remove the lower radiator hose and drain it that way.